Urban waterfronts hold immense potential as vibrant and dynamic spaces that enrich the lives of city dwellers. However, they face critical challenges due to climate change, rising sea levels, and outdated infrastructure. The Sustainable Shores competition calls upon visionary architects to reimagine waterfront buildings, creating sustainable and resilient structures that harmonize with the environment while becoming lively centers of social and economic activity.
The pressing issue is the vulnerability of urban waterfronts to the impacts of climate change, which threaten the ecological balance, habitats, and livelihoods of coastal communities. Unsustainable practices and aging infrastructure further exacerbate the challenges, putting urban waterfronts at risk of degradation and inaccessibility.
Participants are tasked with designing a multifunctional waterfront building that serves as a vibrant hub for various uses, including residential, commercial, and cultural spaces. The building should embrace a harmonious coexistence with the environment, facilitating connections between the city and the water. It should be designed to optimize energy efficiency, water management, and natural ventilation while fostering a sense of community and interaction among its inhabitants.
The competition site should be a 10-acre (maximum) brownfield located on the waterfront of a major city, presenting a blank canvas for architectural innovation. Situated at the nexus of urban life and nature’s abundance, the site should offer the perfect opportunity to transform the waterfront into a sustainable and dynamic community.
Architects are required to ensure that their designs meet stringent sustainability and resilience standards, aligning with the principles of environmental stewardship and climate adaptation. The proposed building must comply with existing zoning and regulations, while also taking into account the preservation of the site’s historical and cultural context.
The Sustainable Shores competition offers a transformative platform for architects to redefine the future of urban waterfronts, empowering cities to thrive sustainably amidst the changing tides of time.
- 2 x A1 Sheets explaining the value proposition or the design (each PDF with at least 150dpi – Max. 20 MB)
- An optional 1-2 min Video explaining your design/concept (content in the video has been left to the participant’s consideration)
- Participate in teams of 1-3 Individuals (Multiple Registrations Allowed using different Email IDs and Phone Numbers)
- The final PDF must be named ‘team-<team number>.pdf‘ (for example, team-1234.pdf if your team code is ‘1234’) and should be uploaded on Google Drive/Dropbox/OneDrive or any similar online file handler with ‘Public Access‘ setting as ‘Enabled’
- The final video must be named ‘team-<team number> | Seek Fanatic Competition #sustainableshores’ and uploaded as an ‘Unlisted‘ video on YouTube (Choose ‘Mark as not made for kids‘ while uploading)
- The content in sheets should be free of any plagiarism (except collages and human cutouts in renders)
- Submitted content must not include any information which exposes details of the participant or the region the participant resides in
- Seek Fanatic logo must be postfixed to the video for 3 seconds with black background (Download logo: go.seekfanatic.com/logo)
- Registration must be done on seekfanatic.com only – using the contact information of the team representative.
- Team Number is the same as your Order Number (4-digit code) after payment of registration fees.
Note: Failing in compliance with any of the above requirements will lead to the disqualification of the respected team from the competition, with a notification email to the registered email id of the team leader.
Schedule & Fees
- Early Registration Ends: September 10th, 2023, 23:59 GMT ($15 USD)
- Standard Registration Ends: October 10th, 2023, 23:59 GMT ($25 USD)
- Late Registration Ends: October 25th, 2023, 23:59 GMT ($35 USD)
- Submissions End: October 25th, 2023, 23:59 GMT
- Results Announced: November 25th, 2023
Prizes & Grants
- Winner x 1 = $1000 + Certificate + Publication in our Annual Issue + Blog Post
- Runners Up x 4 = $250 + Certificate + Publication in our Annual Issue + Blog Post
- Participation Certificates for all teams